Saturday 18 June 2011

Turn Away

The first poem I'm going to do here is called turn away. I'm going to start with it because I believe the call to turn away from sin, self and turn to God and his love is a beautiful calling.

THE POEM

Turn away

Turn away

Turn away I hear you say?

From what?

From the things that make me happy?

From what?

From the life that I've made for me?

NO!

NO CAN DO!

I'm good just doing me


This is when I realized that I needed you,

Looking at a life planned by me and filed with things not bettering me in anyway

Just leading myself astray,

Binging on the things I knew wasn’t right for me

Yet not stopping because they felt so good when they were in my life

And therefore ignoring the person who I became once these things became a part of me

This is when I started to see that there’s more to live than just living life for me

No more placing myself on such a pedestal

That allows nothing good for me to reach me

No more holding myself so high and deliberately ignoring what’s right for me

I’m scared, but I see there’s no good in just doing me

Because WEAK is the life that is just about me

But strong is the foundation I see you laying

Now involving YOU then me


Now I’ve found you

I’m doing my best to build on the foundation of concrete that you’ve laid

But finding it’s difficult because concrete never hardens straight away

It takes it’s time

And in that time things can get in and try to ruin what you’ve laid

But nothing I know is too difficult or even impossible for you to clean again

And even if that concrete hardens, imperfect, encompassing things you hadn’t laid

I know you have the ability to clean

Cleaning until it is back to what you made

And since I am a part of this concrete

Imperfect, encompassing things you never laid

I appreciate the effort you put in me a sinner

Trying to get me back on track again


So turn Away?

Turn Away I hear you say?

GLADLY!

Because now I find no pleasure in the things that use to make me happy

I see that life is so much more than what I can make for me

I’ve lost the fear of living in the possibility of having more than just me

And loving the greatness and power of the Holy Spirit that’s now in me

New life is now with me

I’m now in him

Now life is not just about me

But about him

With me seeking after him and HIM leading ME

2 comments: