Wednesday 7 September 2011

WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS!

Ok so I was meant to be performing somewhere this week. The poem I wanted to do is called prayer (will put it up soon) so I really wanted to have a wonderful hymn that I know called 'what a friend we have in Jesus' sang during my performance. I was so shocked at the amount of people that did not know this hymn! Made me feel all old loool. I do think it is a British thing, I don't think the hymn is sung much in churches over here. Anyhoo the hymn is a blessing. Filled with such truths. Here are the words and the story let me know if you have ever heard of it. And if you have let me know in what country lool. Loves xxx


The Hymn "What a Friend We Have in Jesus"


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B7i2wCqIuE

  1. What a friend we have in Jesus,
    All our sins and griefs to bear!
    What a privilege to carry
    Everything to God in prayer!
    Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
    Oh, what needless pain we bear,
    All because we do not carry
    Everything to God in prayer!

  2. Have we trials and temptations?
    Is there trouble anywhere?
    We should never be discouraged—
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
    Can we find a friend so faithful,
    Who will all our sorrows share?
    Jesus knows our every weakness;
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.

  3. Are we weak and heavy-laden,
    Cumbered with a load of care?
    Precious Savior, still our refuge—
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
    Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
    Take it to the Lord in prayer!
    In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
    Thou wilt find a solace there.

  4. Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
    Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
    May we ever, Lord, be bringing
    All to Thee in earnest prayer.
    Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
    There will be no need for prayer—
    Rapture, praise, and endless worship
    Will be our sweet portion there.

Here's what I found about the writer and the hymn. I did not write this part underneath.

Originally a poem, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" was never intended by the hymn writer, Joseph Scriven, for publication. Upon learning of his mother's serious illness and was unable to be with her in faraway Dublin, he wrote a letter of comfort enclosing the words of this text. Some time later when he himself was ill, a friend who came to see him chanced to see the poem scribbled on scratch people near his bed. The friend read it with interest and asked if he had written the words. With typical modesty, Scriven replied, "The Lord and I did it between us." In 1869 a small collection of his poems was published. Simply, it was entitled Hymns and Other Verses.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous verses! And what a friend we have in Jesus, indeed!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Erin. Gorgeous verses. And Lena, I'm super glad you're blogging again.

    http://myafricancloset.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this hymn, we sang in church almost every sunday, I know it by heart. Such a wonderful message.

    xx
    Liz Lizo
    VOGUED-OUT

    ReplyDelete